Welcome to the second round of the Murakami Marathon that is hosted by my friend Kate, this year I have been asked to co-host and ofcourse I happily said yes as Murakami is one of my favourite authors.
The marathon is taking place earlier this year as alot of people are at home due to the Corona virus, we thought it may help some people connect and enjoy an amazing author through these trying times.
It is being held from the 12th – 18th of April and there will also be a movie night on the Friday where we will be watching Burning, which is based off of one of Murakami’s short stories. I have personally already watched the movie a couple of months ago and it was very good with a lot of Parasite vibes!
- Kate: Youtube – Twitter – Instagram
- Adele (me): Twitter – Instagram
- Lobna: Instagram
- Laura: Instagram
- Read the buddy read book What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
- Read a ‘new to you’ Murakami book
- Read a short story collection
- Read a novel
Buddy read info:
- We have picked Murakami’s memoir book as the buddy read this time as it is an easier read for people new to his works and it is also pretty short at under 200 pages. It is also a good starting point if you’re wanting to get into reading more of his books but perhaps don’t know where to start!
- This round of the marathon has a sponsor! Byzans is a FREE app you can download on to your phone where you can track the books you read and also join in discussions and group chats, it is the main place where we will be talking about the book as we read it so be sure to join us!
- Search “What I talk about When I talk about Running” in Byzans, add the first result with a status “Currently reading” – there will also be a section for each chapter as well as the foreword and afterword to be able to discuss them without spoiling anyone else!
- The buddy read book, What I talk about when I talk about running. This is also a new to me Murakami as I havn’t read it yet so I’m really looking forward to it. I will be regularly posting to our group chats on Byzans as I read it.
- South of the border, west of the sun. This is another of his shorter books and one I havn’t gotten round to reading yet so I’m taking this opportunity to finally get to it!
I’m keeping my TBR pretty short as I’m a fairly slow reader and as the marathon is only on for 1 week this time I didn’t want to pressure myself with adding more.
Just for fun, here are the Murakami books I have already read so far: Kafka on the shore, After dark, Wind-up bird chronicle, Norwegian wood, Wind/pinball, Wild sheep chase, Dance dance dance.
I really hope you are able to join us on this round of the Murakami Marathon and I will see you over on Byzans, Instagram and Twitter!
Kate’s announcement video: